Rajib Karmakar [sitar]
Born in a highly cultured musical family of Bengal, Rajib is a one of the most promising young musician. He started learning the sitar at the tender age of four from his father Sri Durgadas Karmakar who was a strict disciplinarian, a purist and perfectionist and it was under his long and arduous training in all aspects of Sitar playing that Rajib emerged as a talented and sensitive young artist while still in his tender years . He gave his first public performance at the age of six and at the age of 12 he performed in the All India Radio .After that he was fortunate enough to be the Gandabandh Sagrid of Ustad Ghulam Akbar Khan son in law of legendary Ustad Nissar Hussain Khan of Rampur Sahswan Gharana where he was first trained in the classical vocal music that forms the foundation of the "gayaki ang" which is much prevelant in his playing . Talent, however, is not enough to master the Indian classical tradition, and under the careful tutelage of his father and Ustad Ghulam Akbar Khan, Rajib matured gradually through study, countless hours dedicated to practice (riyaaz) and frequent recitals. His studies led him to Varanasi where he received talim from Late Pt. Ramdass Chakravarty and Vidushi Krishna Chakravarty . He also had the proud privilege of having learnt from great musicians like, Pt. Kushal Das & Ustad Shahid Pervez . Presently he is uder the guidance of Shri Supriyo Dutta, vocal exponent of Indore Gharana who is guiding him through the various gayaki aspects of Indore Gharana. He is M.A. ( Music) 1st class 1st from Rabindra Bharati University.
Few memorable achievements:
- Adjudged 1st in All India Youth Festival (Eastern Zone) in the year 2004.
- Adjudged 2nd in National Youth Festival in the year 2005.
- Adjudged 2nd in Paschimbangya Rajya Sangeet Academy,2006.
- Adjudged 1st in Maya Mitra Memorial Instrumental Competition hosted by Aurobindo Institute of Culture in the year 2008.
- Adjudged 2nd in 1st International Youth Festival, 2009 hosted by M.D.S.University, Ajmer, Rajasthan.
- Awarded title "SURMANI" by Sur Singar Samsad, Mumbai in the year 2010.
Other than these he had performed in various places of India like Delhi , Beneras , Kolkata , Rajasthan , Jharkhand etc. and in various places of Europe and also performed in Radio and TV in various countries .
Unforgettable Concerts and Recordings:
- Indian Classical Young Talents Conference-2003,Kolkata.
- Ganesh Mahotsav,2004,Beneras.
- National Youth Festival,2005,Beneras.
- Sanskar Bharati concert,Bokaro.
- Salt Lake Stadium concert,Kolkata,2007.
- Jadavpur University Reunion(Science and Commerce faculty),2007 and 2008.
- Tollygunj Club , 2007(along with fusion).
- Maharishi Gandharva Veda Konzert, Munich , Germany,2009.
- Concert in Munich,Munich,Germany,2009
- Concert in France, 2009.
- Concert in Engen, Germany, 2010
- Concert in Pfullendorf, Germany ,2010
- Concert in Milan , 2010
- Radio Recording in Radio Popolare, Milan ,2010
- Concert in Mumbai,2010
- Concert Tour in Switzerland November- December ,2010
- Concert in Srijani Auditorium, Durgapur, 2011
- Concert in Ahmedabad,2011
- Concert in Hamburg, 2011
- Concert in Milan,2011
- Concert in European Yoga Congress Zinal,Switzerland 2011
- Concert in Espacio Ronda, Spain, 2011
- Concert in Kassel, Germany, 2011
- Concert in Paris, 2011
- Concert in Lille, 2011
and many others to follow......................